I had the same problem with my third gen … until I moved my music library from my desktop machine to my new Powerbook. Restored the iPod and downloaded everything off the PB. All was good. Only thing I could figure was the old desktop was corrupting files on the download. So it was the puter not the pod
I had this with my iPod Shuffle, and Scott’s suggestion was correct. For some reason, when putting songs on the Shuffle, some of them would have their “stop” time set to a few seconds before the end.
I think this has stopped happening now, as I haven’t noticed it this year. I can’t remember if I did anything to fix it specifically, but re-setting the iPod (the instruction booklet should tell you how) *might* help.
I have an external firewire drive storing my iTunes library. I connect my iG2 Pod via Firewire and my wife’s new nano via USB 2.0 and although the nano is only a couple of weeks old there have been no problems or complaints.
This is a relatively old Gigabit Ethernet G4 with USB 2.0 added via a PCI card. From my experience, the older the motherboard, the less stable the firewire implementation. Particularly in the older G4’s and G3’s that couldn’t boot from it.
Matt (MJ), I had exactly the same thought (independently; you’ll have to trust me on that :-). I did wonder if that was somehow creating a false “stop” point. I have indeed done that, or did it while the iPo nan (as I shall call it for now) was loading. We’ll see what difference, if any, that makes.
So we have two potential culprits:
1) loading from an external HD, perhaps Firewire HD -> USB2 iPod
2) crossfading not set to 0 in iTunes.
Comment by Charles — Tuesday 28 February 2006 @ 12:45 pm
Another thought: There is an issue with the header type on some VBR-encoded MP3s. The iPod ignores these headers and so doesn’t pick up the true length of the track and therefore cuts the songs off. See http://txfx.net/2005/02/08/vbr-mp3-fix/ for a nice explanation/fix.
I had the same problem with songs cutting short but only on some cd’s that I had imported into itunes. I changed the settings from ordinary mp3 into custom, using the VBR (Varible bit rate) setting. I have had no trouble since everything is playing fine.